Friday, December 30, 2016

Text in Paintings is Bad



Text in paintings is bad because paint should never be used to make letters because letters are part of language, and language is part of reason and reasoning is bad because it's abstract and based on cause and effect whereas painting is images and storytelling, not logic.  Logic is bad while stories and simulated, unprocessed imaginings are good because they communicate with no ambiguity, no lack of clarity.  Everyone can understand them, even little babies and other animals who don't speak human.  Body language is the only true language, and the limits of my language are not the limits of my mind, my imagination or the imagination of painters is.  I don't want to go anywhere a painting can't take me.

I was walking to the supermarket the other day when I stumbled upon a painter using text.  A large group of MFA degree awardees were gathered around her.  The painter was painting away, trying to mind her own business, but the MFA people were saying things like, "That's not very good," and "I'd like it a lot better if you'd leave the text out," and "Have you thought about writing poetry instead of painting?"  Experts are never wrong, and MFA people are experts.

Text paintings sell well, so it's obvious that the painters of them only care about money, not about anything spiritual.   Everybody knows this lack of soul in art is evil and misguided.


No comments:

Post a Comment