Monday, January 29, 2018

Beth Krebs' Candy Land at Recology


Here's a screenshot of Beth's Instagram account.

I went to this show and stood around, looking at the creations.

Beth Krebs made three dimensional work out of packing styrofoam, styrofoam bowls, packing plastic, motors, golf tees, plastic straws and other things people put into recycling or trash in the city of San Francisco.  

Her creations looked like various identifiable objects or unidentifiable objects or colorful sculptures that my brain tried to make sense of or enjoy.

I watched her video on her instagram account which shows her at Recology talking about her residency experience.  She said she's disgusted by the waste created by the human species but that she tries to be empathetic toward that species when making art from their waste.

I also talked to her in person at the show, and she was very nice.  If my memory serves me well, she said kind of the same thing as she said on her video.  She wanted each creation to have some kind of spirit or life in it.  I'm not quoting her.

Also on her instagram are pictures of her art from the show.  See the screenshot above.

I'm kind of a green freak, hypocritical at times, so I too felt disgust when seeing all the styrofoam waste.

So the show is kind of a mindfuck because it's playful but disgusting at the same time.


This artwork was made by Beth Krebs.
Above is a picture of a stack of styrofoam about 10 feet tall.

Below is a styrofoam sculpture made out of styrofoam.  And by the way, "styrofoam" is a dow chemical brand name.  The technical term for it is EPS which stands for "expanded polystyrene."  Hooray for chemicals!
This artwork was made by Beth Krebs

No comments:

Post a Comment